RSS Feed

Olive Thomas (1894-1920)

Olive Thomas was a rising Hollywood star in silent films. She died in Paris in 1920, age 25, when she accidentally ingested mercury. The story goes that, after a night of drinking and nightclubbing, she went back to her hotel and, looking for something to help her sleep, misread the label on a bottle of mercury (she couldn’t read French). One might ask why there was a bottle of her mercury in her Paris hotel room. Of course, there were conspiracy theories and rumors, but none of them were ever substantiated. Her husband, Jack Pickford (Mary Pickford’s younger brother), was at first suspected but then cleared. Olive Thomas’s bizarre death was one of the first Hollywood scandals. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: