Olive Thomas was a rising Hollywood star in silent films. She died in Paris in 1920, age 25, when she accidentally ingested mercury. The story goes that, after a night of drinking and nightclubbing, she went back to her hotel and, looking for something to help her sleep, misread the label on a bottle of mercury (she couldn’t read French). One might ask why there was a bottle of her mercury in her Paris hotel room. Of course, there were conspiracy theories and rumors, but none of them were ever substantiated. Her husband, Jack Pickford (Mary Pickford’s younger brother), was at first suspected but then cleared. Olive Thomas’s bizarre death was one of the first Hollywood scandals.
Olive Thomas (1894-1920)